Last updated by 3 years ago
Page: Installation, Version:31
Installation from Download
PrerequisitesIn order to start using Grails you need to have the following:
- An installation of Java SDK 1.4 or higher and have set your JAVA_HOME variable to the SDK install location.
- Download the latest Grails release
- Extract the archive into an appropriate location; typically C:\grails on Windows or ~/grails on Unix
- Create a GRAILS_HOME environment variable that points to the path where you extracted the archive (eg C:\grails on Windows or ~/grails on Unix)
- If you have not set the JAVA_HOME environment variable yet, create JAVA_HOME environment variable that points to the path where you have installed Java
- Append a reference to the "bin" directory within the Grails directory to your PATH variable (eg %GRAILS_HOME%\bin on Windows or $GRAILS_HOME/bin on Unix). Note that, for Windows, both PATH and GRAILS_HOME must be defined at the same environment variable level (eg. 'System variables') rather than across environment variable levels (eg. PATH under 'System variables' and GRAILS_HOME under 'User variables')
- Type "grails" at the command line, if a help message is displayed you are ready to start using Grails!
- If you get an error message, try to
grailsscript inside the
Installation from Git (The Version Control Repository)
PrerequisitesIn order to start using Grails from Git you need to have the following:
- An installation of Java 1.5 or higher and have set your JAVA_HOME variable to the install location
- A working installation of Apache Ant 1.7 or higher
- JUnit (to run the build tests - put junit.jar in your ANT_HOMElib directory)
- A Git client
- Checkout Grails from the Git repository
- Run this command: git clone git://github.com/grails/grails-core.git
- Set the GRAILS_HOME environment variable to CHECKOUT_LOCATION/grails/grails
- Add the "%GRAILS_HOME%\bin" directory to your PATH environment variable
- Add the "%GRAILS_HOME%\ant\bin directory to your PATH environment variable.
- (You may need to give the scripts in "%GRAILS_HOME%\ant\bin execute permissions.)
- Increase the java memory to 1024M by setting ANT_OPTS=-Xmx1024M
- Go to the %GRAILS_HOME% directory and type "ant jar" to build Grails
- That's it! Start developing in Grails!