Last updated by 3 years ago
Page: Tutorials, Version:86
Below is a list of available tutorials/resources about Grails ordered by category. Please have a look at our Quick Start and the Grails Screencasts to quickly experience the power of the Grails Framework. Besides this, the Developers' Blogs and the Grails Podcast provide additional timely information about the Grails Framework.
Please feel free to edit this page (using the Edit button at the top of the page) and link to further Grails resources! You can also use the Grails User List to announce new resources!
Beginner Tutorial Sequence
- Mastering Grails trail @ IBM developerWorks
- Build your first Grails application
Java programmers needn't abandon their favorite language and existing development infrastructure to adopt a modern Web development framework. In the first installment, Java expert Scott Davis introduces Grails and demonstrates how to build your first Grails application.
- GORM: Funny name, serious technology
Any good Web framework needs a solid persistence strategy. In this second installment of his Mastering Grails series, Scott Davis introduces the Grails Object Relational Mapping (GORM) API. See how easy it is to create relationships between tables, enforce data validation rules, and change relational databases in your Grails applications.
- Changing the view with Groovy Server Pages
Groovy Server Pages (GSP) puts the "Web" in the Grails Web framework. In the third installment of his Mastering Grails series, Scott Davis shows you the ins and outs of working with GSP. See how easy it is to use Grails TagLibs, mix together partial fragments of GSPs, and customize the default templates for the automatically generated (scaffolded) views.
- Many-to-many relationships with a dollop of Ajax
- Grails services and Google Maps
Scott Davis shows you how you can add maps to a Grails application using freely available APIs and Web services in this latest installment of Mastering Grails. He uses the trip-planner sample application from previous installments and takes it to the next level with geocoding, Google Maps, and Grails services.
- Grails and the mobile Web
The number of cell phone users worldwide is at 3.3 billion and rising, and Internet access from mobile phones is on a rapidly upward trajectory. Developing for the mobile Web has its unique demands. In this Mastering Grails installment, Scott Davis shows you how to make your Grails applications mobile phone friendly.
- Grails and legacy databases
In this Mastering Grails installment, Scott Davis explores the various ways that Grails can use database tables that don't conform to the Grails naming standard. If you have Java classes that already map to your legacy databases, Grails allows you to use them unchanged. You'll see examples that use Hibernate HBM files and Enterprise JavaBeans 3 annotations with legacy Java classes.
- The Grails event model
Everything in Grails, from build scripts to individual artifacts such as domain classes and controllers, throw events at key points during an application's life cycle. In this Mastering Grails installment, you'll learn how to set up listeners to catch these events and react to them with custom behavior.
- RESTful Grails
We live in the era of mashups. Creating Web pages that give users the information they want is a good start, but offering a source of raw data that other Web developers can easily mix in with their own applications is better. In this installment of Mastering Grails, Scott Davis introduces various ways to get Grails to produce XML instead of the usual HTML.
- Testing your Grails application
Grails makes it easy to ensure that your Web applications start out bug free and stay that way. As a bonus, you can leverage your test code to produce a rich set of executable documentation that is always up-to-date. This month, Grails guru Scott Davis shows you the Grails testing ropes.
- Asynchronous Grails with JSON and Ajax
- Grails in the enterprise
In this installment of Mastering Grails, series author Scott Davis puts to rest any qualms about Grails' readiness for the enterprise. You'll see how to use Grails with enterprise-caliber libraries including the Java Management Extensions (JMX), Spring, and log4j.
- Simple Login Tutorial (PDF) - Learn how to use interceptors in this simple login tutorial which builds on the "Quick Start" tutorial.
- the User and Plant classes fail in run-app since the constraints should be declared static "def constraints " should be "static def constraints" or similar (using 0.6rc1 and above)
- it's not obvious, for a first timer (I've only done the quick start) that the login page given should be saved to grails-app/views/user/login.gsp , it's logical once you know, but the tutorial could specify this.
- within the new interceptor: you should exclude also the actions "login" and "doLogin", otherwise your redirect will loop if you create a common super class for UserController and PlantController. If you don't, there is no problem because the UserController has no interceptor.
- Acegi On Grails - Basic tutorial from the AcegiSecurity plugin documentation
- Many-to-Many mapping with Hibernate XML - Tutorial that shows how to get a many-to-many relationship mapping working with Hibernate XML
- Discovering an application's security requirements
- A simple EmailerService - one way in which emails can be sent from Grails apps; it also demonstrates integration with Spring-configured beans
- Sending SMTP Authenticated Email, Html content with GroovyTemplates and Spring integration
- Compass and Grails how to - Add Compass-powered search to your Grails application
- Lucene and Grails how to - Using Lucene to add full-text search to your Grails app in under 15 minutes
- Checking Projects into SVN - how to put your projects into SVN version control
- File Upload - How to build a file upload in grails
- Simple Dynamic Password Codec - How to add and use a SHA-1 digest codec in grails
- Many-to-Many Mapping without Hibernate XML - a tutorial that shows how to create a M2M mapping domain without all that tedious mucking about in Hiberspace.
- Simple Avatar Uploader - a quick intro to image uploading and display.
- Using ExtJS Layouts with Grails Layouts - Combine ExtJS layouts with Grails layouts to get complex page layouts with no CSS.
- MBean export in Grails how to - Export your managed beans in Grails. Hibernate Statistics MBean example.
- Grails WebAlbum - A simple photo album, used as an exercise to develop a complete Grails application. There are users, who have albums, which contain pictures. Lightbox is used for a slide show effect. Builds on some of the tutorials listed above. Source code included.
- Grails layouts with Sitemesh - Basic features of Sitemesh decoration framework integrated with Grails.
- Main layout by convention - How to use the main layout without the <meta name="layout" content="NAME" /> tag on every page.
- Writing a Simple Issue Tracker in Grails Part 1 Part 2-- Josh Reed explains how to build a simple issue tracker using Grails.
- Creating custom PropertyEditor
- Build a Custom Validator in Grails with a Plugin
- Master-Detail screen in Flex, backed up by Grails application - includes JMS functionality using the Grails JMS Plugin
- Contract First CXF Services in Grails - Walk through of how we managed to get contract first CXF services in Grails, linked to Grails services.
- AJAX-Driven SELECTs in GSP - Demonstrating a basic AJAX pattern for updating dependent selects in GSP using the remoteFunction ability in Grails
- MySQL GIS-Geometry with Grails - A quick overview of the bits you need to start using this
- Grails and Google AppEngine Beginners Guide by Morten Nielsen
- IntroducciÃ³n a Grails (Introduction to Grails, In Spanish) Parte 1 , Parte 2 , Parte 3 , Parte 4 , Parte 5 , Parte 6
- Log4j with Grails Apps on JBoss - Start with a downloadable simple reference application, then go step-by-step to get log4j logging enabled on JBoss.
- Asynchronous Email with the Mail Plugin, ActiveMQ, JMS and Gmail - An introduction to sending HTML emails using an architecture fit for real-world production systems
- JSON rendering 3-part tutorial - Part 1: Collections, Testing and the JSONBuilder, Part 2: POGOs and Domain Objects and Part 3: Object Marshallers
- Building rich internet application user interfaces with Vaadin, Groovy and Grails
- Introduction to Aspects Using @AspectJ Annotations - A quick introduction to @AspectJ annotations in Grails
- Configuring Ehcache for Clustering a Grails App - How to setup a Grails Application to use Ehcache Terracotta Clustering
- Replacement Form Item For toMany Relationships - Provides an alternative to the default g:select for toMany relationships.
- Quick and Easy Ajax Shoutbox - Shows you how to create a quick and easy shoutbox which you can adapt to your needs.
- German term paper about Grails at Uni Mannheim
- NL2BR in Grails, how to create your own grails codec
- Twitter and Google Maps mashup in 20 minutes with Grails
- Using Class Level Metadata to Allow Controller Actions to Opt Out of a Filterâ€™s Processing
- Tag Libraries & the Power of Closures - from Graeme's blog
- Grails for Oracle Developers - Tutorial from the Oracle website written by Tug Grall on how to use Grails with Oracle 10g Application Server
- Grails on Wikipedia - Article describing Grails on Wikipedia
- Hosting Grails to Your Legacy DB - Step-by-step guide written by Jason Rudolph on how to get Grails working with a legacy MySQL db using Hibernate XML
- Securing a Grails application using Spring and Acegi Security - securing your applications with Acegi filters
- Grails+EJB3 - Another excellent article by Jason Rudolph on how to use Grails with EJB entity beans
- Introduction to Groovy and Grails by Harshad Oak
- German introduction to Grails in the JavaMagazin by Dierk KÃ¶nig
- German seminar elaboration to Grails at FH-Wedel by Alexander Treptow
- Generating RSS Feeds with Grails and Rome by Glen Smith
- Introduction To Grails by Jeff Brown
- PepsiCo Grails Sites Post-Analysis
- 1-hour Quick Start to Grails by Sing-Chyun Lee
- German concept paper of grails 0.5 with tutorial for application by Juliane KummerlÃ¶we & Manuel Blechschmidt
- IntroducciÃ³n a Grails parte1, parte 2, parte 3 , (Spanish) groovy.org.es
- AJAX con Grails, (Spanish) groovy.org.es
- Grails, (French) odelia-technologies
- Deploying Grails (on a VPS with Tomcat6 and Apache2), from feedlr.blog by Damien Hou
- A Grails-Powered Blog (Part 1) by Jon Dickinson
- A Grails-Powered Blog (Part 2) by Jon Dickinson
- Sviluppo rapido di applicazioni con Groovy & Grails (Italian) by Alberto Brandolini
- Deploying Grails on Shared and Private Tomcat(specifically on hostjava.net, from travootrr.blogger.com
- Configuring a Grails Application for HTTP Session Clustering using Terracotta
- IntroducciÃ³ a Grails en CatalÃ by Oliver HernÃ ndez Valls.
- Grails Tutorial by Lars Vogel
- Ajax Login using Basic Auth by Morten Nielsen
- Updating multiple page fragments with Grails and Ajax by Oliver Weichhold
- GRAILS - El santo grial del desarrollo rÃ¡pido (Spanish) by Javier Serrano
Grails Quick Reference
- Grails: Web Development Made Easy (November 2009) - Presentation by Roi Aldaag from AlphaCSP's JavaEdge 2009 seminar
- Grails 1.1 Testing - Unit, Integration, Functional (July 2009) - this post provides some context to the presentation and links to view it online or download it
- Getting Started with Grails (Abstract) (PDF) - Open source presentation by Jason Rudolph, presented at numerous user groups and conferences in 2007
- Going Further with Grails (Abstract) (PDF) - Open source presentation by Jason Rudolph, presented at No Fluff Just Stuff and the 2GX Groovy Grails Experience (February 2008)
- Bending GORM: 5-minute Techniques for Enterprise Integration (Abstract) (PDF) - Open source presentation by Jason Rudolph, presented at No Fluff Just Stuff and the 2GX Groovy Grails Experience (February 2008)
- Grails JavaOne 2006 Slides- The slides presented by Graeme at the 2006 JavaOne conference during a demonstration at the Oracle booth and a Birds of a Feather (BOF) session
- Groovy & Grails Seminar by Dierk Koenig and Graeme Rocher, hosted by Skills Matter
- St. Louis Java SIG Presentation - September 2006 by Jeff Brown, Principal Software Engineer - Object Computing Inc.
- Grails+Hibernate - October 26th 2006 from London Groovy/Grails User Group (GUG) - by Graeme Rocher, Grails Project lead.
- Grails WJAX 2006 Presentation by Sven Haiges. You may use and change this presentation for your own presentations about Grails, here are the OpenOffice files for the English (+) and German (+) version. Audio recordings are available, too: English Recording, German Recording (live version). See these slides online at SlideShare (recommended, English Version : German Version) and leave comments which will be fed back into newer versions.
- Grails Dynamic Tag Libraries - Presentation by Graeme Rocher from the London Groovy/Grails User Group
- Grails Presentation (Japanese) - Presentation by Tsuyoshi Yamamoto at the Page2007 (Tokyo,Japan)
- Grails introduction - Presentation made by Guillaume Laforge at the Spring Experience 2006 in Miami
- Grails: Spring and Hibernate development reinvented - Presentation made by Guillaume Laforge at the QCon 2007 London conference
- Grails: Konzepte sind wichtig - Presentation made by Manuel Blechschmidt & Juliane KummerlÃ¶we for Web-Frameworks at the Hasso-Plattner-Institut 2007
- Sviluppo rapido di applicazioni con Grails (Italian) - presentation made by Alberto Brandolini @ the Italian Java Day 2007 in Rome.
- Grails'e Baslangic ve Flex Entegrasyonu -Presentation made by Selcuk Bozdag on a MMIstanbul.com www.mmistanbul.com (+) Webinar in May 2008 (Turkish).
Podcasts & other Audio
- Grails Podcast - News about Grails delivered right into your favourite podcatcher by Sven Haiges. RSS Feed: http://hansamann.podspot.de/rss| Subscribe with iTunes
- JavaPosse #50 includes an Interview with Graeme Rocher, Lead of the Grails Project
- Live Audio Recording of the Grails WJAX 2006 presentation (German). See presentation section for the presentation slides.
- Recording from Grails WJAX BOF 2006 (German). The BOF included Peter RoÃŸbach, Dierk KÃ¶nig and Sven Haiges.
- Artima Developer interview with Graeme Rocher from JavaPolis 06
Screencasts & other Movies