Last updated by 4 years ago
Page: Tutorials, Version:9
Online TutorialsBelow is a list of available tutorials/resources about Grails ordered by category. Please have a look at our Quick Start and the Grails Screencasts to quickly experience the power of the Grails Framework. Besides this, the Developers' Blogs and the Grails Podcast provide additional timely information about the Grails Framework.
Please feel free to edit this page (using the Edit button at the top of the page) and link to further Grails resources! You can also use the Grails User List to announce new resources!
- Simple Login Tutorial (PDF) - Learn how to use interceptors in this simple login tutorial which builds on the "Quick Start" tutorial.
- the User class fails in run-app since the constraints should be declared static "def constraints " should be "static def constraints" or similar (using 0.6rc1)
- it's not obvious, for a first timer (I've only done the quick start) that the login page given should be saved to grails-app/views/user/login.gsp , it's logical once you know, but the tutorial could specify this.
- within the new interceptor: you should exclude also the actions "login" and "doLogin", otherwise your redirect will loop
- Acegi On Grails - Basic tutorial from the AcegiSecurity plugin documentation
- Many-to-Many mapping with Hibernate XML - Tutorial that shows how to get a many-to-many relationship mapping working with Hibernate XML
- Discovering an application's security requirements
- A simple EmailerService - one way in which emails can be sent from Grails apps; it also demonstrates integration with Spring-configured beans
- Sending SMTP Authenticated Email, Html content with GroovyTemplates and Spring integration
- Compass and Grails how to - Add Compass-powered search to your Grails application
- Lucene and Grails how to - Using Lucene to add full-text search to your Grails app in under 15 minutes
- Checking Projects into SVN - how to put your projects into SVN version control
- File Upload - How to build a file upload in grails
- Simple Dynamic Password Codec - How to add and use a SHA-1 digest codec in grails
- Many-to-Many Mapping without Hibernate XML - a tutorial that shows how to create a M2M mapping domain without all that tedious mucking about in Hiberspace.
- Simple Avatar Uploader - a quick intro to image uploading and display.
- Using ExtJS Layouts with Grails Layouts - Combine ExtJS layouts with Grails layouts to get complex page layouts with no CSS.
- MBean export in Grails how to - Export your managed beans in Grails. Hibernate Statistics MBean example.
- Grails WebAlbum - A simple photo album, used as an exercise to develop a complete Grails application. There are users, who have albums, which contain pictures. Lightbox is used for a slide show effect. Builds on some of the tutorials listed above. Source code included.
- Main layout by convention - How to use the main layout without the <meta name="layout" content="NAME" /> tag on every page.
- Writing a Simple Issue Tracker in Grails Part 1 Part 2-- Josh Reed explains how to build a simple issue tracker using Grails.
- Build a Custom Validator in Grails with a Plugin
- Master-Detail screen in Flex, backed up by Grails application - includes JMS functionality using the Grails JMS Plugin
- Contract First CXF Services in Grails - Walk through of how we managed to get contract first CXF services in Grails, linked to Grails services.
- Tag Libraries & the Power of Closures - from Graeme's blog
- Grails for Oracle Developers - Tutorial from the Oracle website written by Tug Grall on how to use Grails with Oracle 10g Application Server
- Grails on Wikipedia - Article describing Grails on Wikipedia
- Hosting Grails to Your Legacy DB - Step-by-step guide written by Jason Rudolph on how to get Grails working with a legacy MySQL db using Hibernate XML
- Securing a Grails application using Spring and Acegi Security - securing your applications with Acegi filters
- Grails+EJB3 - Another excellent article by Jason Rudolph on how to use Grails with EJB entity beans
- Introduction to Groovy and Grails by Harshad Oak
- German introduction to Grails in the JavaMagazin by Dierk KÃ¶nig
- German seminar elaboration to Grails at FH-Wedel by Alexander Treptow
- Generating RSS Feeds with Grails and Rome by Glen Smith
- Introduction To Grails by Jeff Brown
- PepsiCo Grails Sites Post-Analysis
- 1-hour Quick Start to Grails by Sing-Chyun Lee
- German concept paper of grails 0.5 with tutorial for application by Juliane KummerlÃ¶we & Manuel Blechschmidt
- IntroducciÃ³n a Grails parte1, parte 2, parte 3 , (Spanish) groovy.org.es
- AJAX con Grails, (Spanish) groovy.org.es
- Grails, (French) odelia-technologies
- Deploying Grails (on a VPS with Tomcat6 and Apache2), from feedlr.blog by Damien Hou
- Deploying Grails on Shared and Private Tomcat(specifically on hostjava.net, from travootrr.blogger.com by
- A Grails-Powered Blog (Part 1) by Jon Dickinson
- A Grails-Powered Blog (Part 2) by Jon Dickinson
- Sviluppo rapido di applicazioni con Groovy & Grails (Italian) by Alberto Brandolini
- Real World Grails - Presented by Scott Davis of davisworld.org.
- Grails JavaOne 2006 Slides- The slides presented by Graeme at the 2006 JavaOne conference during a demonstration at the Oracle booth and a Birds of a Feather (BOF) session
- Groovy & Grails Seminar by Dierk Koenig and Graeme Rocher, hosted by Skills Matter
- St. Louis Java SIG Presentation - September 2006 by Jeff Brown, Principal Software Engineer - Object Computing Inc.
- Grails+Hibernate - October 26th 2006 from London Groovy/Grails User Group (GUG) - by Graeme Rocher, Grails Project lead.
- Grails WJAX 2006 Presentation by Sven Haiges. You may use and change this presentation for your own presentations about Grails, here are the OpenOffice files for the English (+) and German (+) version. Audio recordings are available, too: English Recording (+), German Recording (live version). See these slides online at SlideShare (recommended, English Version : German Version) and leave comments which will be fed back into newer versions.
- Grails Dynamic Tag Libraries - Presentation by Graeme Rocher from the London Groovy/Grails User Group
- Getting Started with Grails - Presentation by Jason Rudolph at the No Fluff, Just Stuff New England Software Symposium in September 2007
- Grails Presentation (Japanese) - Presentation by Tsuyoshi Yamamoto at the Page2007 (Tokyo,Japan)
- Grails introduction - Presentation made by Guillaume Laforge at the Spring Experience 2006 in Miami
- Grails: Spring and Hibernate development reinvented - Presentation made by Guillaume Laforge at the QCon 2007 London conference
- Grails: Konzepte sind wichtig - Presentation made by Manuel Blechschmidt & Juliane KummerlÃ¶we for Web-Frameworks at the Hasso-Plattner-Institut 2007
- Sviluppo rapido di applicazioni con Grails (Italian) - presentation made by Alberto Brandolini @ the Italian Java Day 2007 in Rome.
- Grails'e Baslangic ve Flex Entegrasyonu -Presentation made by Selcuk Bozdag on a MMIstanbul.com www.mmistanbul.com (+) Webinar in May 2008 (Turkish).
Podcasts & other Audio
- Grails Podcast - News about Grails delivered right into your favourite podcatcher by Sven Haiges. RSS Feed: http://hansamann.podspot.de/rss| Subscribe with iTunes
- JavaPosse #50 includes an Interview with Graeme Rocher, Lead of the Grails Project
- Live Audio Recording of the Grails WJAX 2006 presentation (German). See presentation section for the presentation slides.
- Recording from Grails WJAX BOF 2006 (German). The BOF included Peter RoÃŸbach, Dierk KÃ¶nig and Sven Haiges.
- Artima Developer interview with Graeme Rocher from JavaPolis 06
Screencasts & other Movies
- Grails Screencasts - take a look at these short movies to learn about Grails!